Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Break Shenanigans

Well not much of a spring break to report thus far, but a much needed weekend of D^2 debauchery in my alma mater.  I should explain, my BFFs and I all have nicknames for each other, and 2 of us happen to be Danielle, so when together, we are D^2, and when apart we call each other our square roots.  So needless to say, this reunion weekend was fun and a much needed break from responsibility :)

Now that I am back in town, oh man, I’m in a hell of a funk!

I don’t know what it is for sure, but I have a pretty good idea.  LT and I’s 6 year anniversary and my birthday (# 23) is tomorrow (the 24th), and it is just a very bittersweet day.  The last post was about the day he just asked me to dinner, while on that dinner date we actually had the “so what are we” conversation… oh high school dating drama ;)  I’ve only had a facebook message in the last few weeks so I’m just down I guess.  They’re still stretched thin with guys on leave, and on top of it LT changing jobs while the new PL takes over.  It is very hard when you talk to friends who’s significant other has recently returned, and while I am SO SO SO happy for them, a little, bitty, tiny, pessimistic part of me wants to play the pity game (thankfully that lasts all of 0.00003 seconds and is also quelled with chocolate). 

I’m just sooooo ready for leave to get here.  My donut of misery is creeping along, and right now looks like about 60% done with no leave date in sight.  I understand in the Army’s eyes he is “single” but there are plenty of family and friends that are anxious to spend some time with him.  Being the last one to go after watching all your buddies is certainly taking it’s toll on his morale, he is getting really sarcastic lately…. So come on Gen. Petraeus, give him a chance already ;)

The funk I’m currently in is almost worst than the one I was in around the holidays.  I think part of it is also my fault for getting this idea of spring break together in my head and not being rationale about it probably not happening…. Stupid pre-frontal cortex, you are supposed to think rationally!  I think my hormones keep running interference on the whole cerebral cortex- damn you estrogen!

In other not so pathetic news, I get to see something REALLY cool tomorrow.  I’m going to watch a diagnostic ABR or auditory brainstem response test.  It is a test that is done on newborns that fail their newborn hearing screening, and it is a good test to measure/estimate the hearing loss *if* they have one, most parents freak out (understandably) but sometimes kids just fail a screening as a fluke chance, hence why we do the ABR.  It is done while the child is sleeping, and they will have electrodes that will measure their brainwaves' response to clicks/tones that are presented to each ear over period of time.  It’s a very intense and emotional test, but very reliable when compared to a screening.  I hope the kiddo’s parents don’t cancel tomorrow, because this is what I want to do the rest of my life, so here is a chance to really see it in action and maybe even get to assist for a bit *cue the squeal like a little girl*

Ok, off to bed and here is to hoping that playing with babies tomorrow will put a big old cheesy smile on my face.

3 comments:

  1. I love the new design! So Springy :) I hope you hear from LT soon, especially about a leave date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're in a funk and I hope you get to hear from the Lt. soon (and that gets a date for R&R)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to hear something soon. I'm at 8 days with no communication. Not fun. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete