Friday, April 29, 2011

5k- check!

Yep, just finished my first 5k ever! OMG it was so amazing! I haven't run competitively since my high school track days, and this was my first distance race.  I successfully finished without walking, which was my main goal.  I also wanted to finish under 35:00, and my running partner and I finished together at 33:18! Not an amazing time, but right where I wanted to be.  Next race, under 30 :)

It was so great to see hoards of people on the sidelines, cheering us on and ringing cowbells.  It was an awesome experience.  My running partner almost gave up a few times, but I convinced her to hang on.  If I was running alone, I don't know if I would have met my goals.  However, I already have a new goal for my next race- breaking 30 minutes.  This is probably do-able if I train more than 2.5 weeks. As of right now, I'm feeling pretty good, but that could also be the post race beers talking.  It's amazing how big of a motivator a nice cold beer and some Olive Garden bread sticks are to running that last kick of the race at a faster clip.  Oh, and you know, that whole stadium full of people cheering for you.

Some photos from the race for your enjoyment.  (Ignore the beet red faces and smeared make up from morning clinicals)

Obligatory post-race cheesing with my medal.

Me and my P-I-C.

Sweaty hugs :)

5 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is when it's so weird to know that we're in the same town, lol! (Go Illini and go Memorial Stadium! Haha!) Congrats on the marathon. It takes over the whole town this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm glad I came across your page today! Come stop by mine sometime :) http://sailorsdoll.blogspot.com/

    Congrats!! Good for you :D I'd love to be able to run one someday, but I need to run a lot more to train for one! Can't wait to read more about you :)

    ReplyDelete